Je Suis Charlie // Censorship and Freedom Of Speech

13:18

I am 100% aware that this is a fashion blog, and if you came to my lil' blog wanting to read something about fashion and makeup then I am sorry, come back in a couple days and there will be something new for you to read I promise. But for right now I have to get some things off my chest, (comes across sarcastic when you read it, but I am genuinely sorry! )

I am sure that everyone and anyone knows about the events that has taken place in Paris recently and it has gotten me thinking about freedom of speech and censorship.

'I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.'- Voltaire

This quote perfectly sums up what I feel about this situation, everyone has a right to express what they are feeling. Agreed although there are ways about expressing your feelings with out being rude and discriminative but everyone has the right to express their opinion.  To quote the declaration of human rights,

"Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers." 

No matter what you view of the situation, no one should be killed for expressing their views. Full stop. 

Plus where would we be with out our freedom of speech, I wouldn't be writing this blog post right now thats for sure. 

What if we were like North Korea? Only hearing what the government wanted us to hear, being bombarded with fake statistics and opinions only giving us one side of the story. That is no way to live, and history has shown us that that way of governing a country is never effective, so why do countries do it? 
I have no idea, I even googled 'benefits of censorship' and couldn't find anything worthy to be classed as a reason, so I have come to the conclusion that it is only used to keep people living in fear and to keep the big guys big and the little guys little. 

And that is what I am scared about these whole attacks on the media, that the attacks on our films (the interview) and the attacks on our art will force our media to be censored. Forcing us by gun point to shut our mouths and agree with what the terrorists want and if we don't the consciences will be deadly. 

We are facing a new type of war. War on our media, I hope that we don't cower to the terrorists wants and censor ourselves out of fear, I hope that we stand tall and say 'No! We shan't keep our heads down and be bullied in to something! We shall not continue to be 'walking on egg shells' constantly trying not to displease the terrorists! We shall put what we want and if you don't like it that you can get fucked!' (excuse' the language).

But I have faith in our Media, I feel that they won't cower and they will fight these terrorists to the end.

#jesuischarlie

People of Paris, know you are not alone my heart and thoughts are with you x



You Might Also Like

0 comments